She

Context: A poem I wrote ~2 years ago, about a Norwegian I had met whilst volunteering abroad.

She

She was the sun.
And I'm pretty sure you've met her
because she gets around.
And if you've met her I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about.
Because she will run and gun 
her way to your heart, And melt it, like wildfire.
Oh it's dire,
I can't sleep, can't eat, can't think, can only drink,
Late at night when it's cold and dark and I'm missing her sunlight.
I'm not calling her a liar but sometimes I think she's too light,
Too warm.
She fuels a burning desire to love in me, But she does it unknowingly.
I ask her out but my words are stuttering, Funny feeling in my stomach, butterflies are fluttering.
Eventually the words come out, but maybe I'm muttering.

She gives me a smile, Says that there's an ocean between us.
But she was hot like the brightest of stars.
And with her golden light she could've evaporated all the water in the sea.
And I would've walked across that dry rock seabed to see her.
But, see, she said she weren't so good at long distance.
But girl the distance between us could be anything but long
Cause all along, you are the sun and my world orbits you on a gravitational wire.
Because the attraction between you and me, It's recreational desire.

She was the sun.
And I'm not talking about the magazine, That sells half naked girls on the third page
Lately I've been working gloomy early mornings for minimum wage
Just so I could get the chance to afford to see you.
Over the mountains and valleys and Norwegian fjords I'd meet you.
Oh if only this could be true.

Can you hear it in my voice, does it sound a bit bitter
But if you look into my heart, you'd find it's only bittersweetness
Because I may live too far from you
Restricted to phone calls and text messages and TV for two.
But I will never stop caring for you.
Despite the fact that your light may not form a perfectly round spotlight around my feet
But rather be diffuse lighting shining bright at night for all the passer-bys to see
And your love may not come straight down from the sky to the ground
But instead spreads out like forked lightning
And maybe we were never meant to be and that's the truth but I'm okay with that.
Because you exist and that's good enough for me.
You will be forever shining bright and free
You are the sun.

Comments