Petrichor

Petrichor

The sun watched over the barren land with its prickly gaze
Fields frozen in heat
The air formed mirages in the acridly haze
Earth cracked and broken
My skin was burnt and my heart estrange
But I could smell it
After so long without it, the smell of change


The smell of wet on dry
Of water onto soil 
No reasons left why
To carry on this toil
For the rain has come
To heal and to birth
Begone the person I had become
No more hatred, no more hurt

The rain seeped deep into each fissure and fracture
And it softened stone, skin and heart alike
The meaning of love I could finally capture
I can think of the future, And it looks so bright

I can see it through my nose
I can hear it through my nostrils
The smell of new beginnings,
And of endless possibility
Who knows the stories I may form
And the experiences I will gain
The journey of every thunderstorm
Begins with a single drop of rain


Comments